Wednesday, January 07, 2009

When chivalry is killed

I know, I know, two blogs in one day - scray huh!

So, today I had the dubious honour of riding on Melbourne's public transport system. Generally I try to use this whenever possible, it's easier than finding car parks where I go and I can get on my high horse about being environmentally friendly - then go have a 20 minute shower. But I digress.

Today I was on a tram, the second tram of today. As most places of work are still on holidays and those that aren't are really only there to have a reason for the lights to be on - the trams were quiet and a bit slower than normal. Plenty of tourists and elderly people stumbling around with glazed looks. Perhaps the tourists more than the old troublemakers. Anyway, as I got near my stop I did the right thing and pulled the cord and went to stand near (ish) the door. I had just given up my seat to a nice old lady who thanked me profusely and smiled as I went to get near the door.

Now for a bit of non-tram-user information. Generally there are 3 "doors" on a tram. One at each end (next to the driver, similar to a bus) and one in the middle. Generally the doors in the middle are bigger so people can enter and exit at the same time. Not so for the doors near the driver. Which is where I was attempting to remove myself from this vehicle. It is also considered "polite" to allow the people getting off the tram, the ability to do so and then get on the tram yourself. Now, keep in mind that I was within personal comfort zone distance from the driver, I could hear him breathing, and that I was near the door awaiting to get off.

Pulling the cord, I stood near the door - and then I noticed them. A few old people struggling to get on board. Well, I thought to myself, how about I be nice and let these people on before I get off (they were old people and had assumed they could do whatever they wanted first). Turning slightly away from the door, I let the old people off. The nice old lady who stole my seat smiled at me again and waved a little. As the old people shuffled past, I stepped towards the door - as it slammed in my face. I turned to the driver, as he turned his head away from me and pushed the dials and buttons to make the tram go. A slight "Umm, excuse me?" jumped from my lips which seemed to make the driver jump (I will not accept surprise, he knew where I was) to which he said "Oh, can't stop here - next stop up ahead". To which I stepped away from the closed door and pulled the bell again, the nice old lady was wide eyed with shock and I think I may have had quite a look on my face - a few people near the front of the tram looked a little uncomfortable as I surveyed the area to determine what I could use if the idiot driver missed the next stop.

Adding another 500 metres to the walk I'd have to take to get to my final destination, the stop finally came up and the driver opened the doors. Making sure I was the first there and the first out - I turned my head and mentioned "Perhaps next time you'll use your eyes to actually see?", before stepping off the tram and noticing most of the people near the driver nodding and pointing at the driver.

I suspect he might have been in for an interesting trip with the rest of the passengers. I know that anyone does that me again I'll be speaking to whoever it is who is running those things that week. It's really crazy that they removed the conductors, but perhaps they could have at least employeed drivers who remember they are driving the public and at times the public do have manners and are chivalrous.

4 comments:

Cath said...

It is your own fault really... never change the rules on public transport. It is "normal" to let people off first and then get the people on.... you should have knocked the old buggers down as you departed screaming from the tram.

But you can still be chivalrous at home.

Mad Cat Lady said...

... and then the driver has probably felt hard doneby and been mean to every other person who got on the tram for the rest of the day. You spreader of christmas cheer you - lol

KittyMeow said...

Gosh I've seen some altercations on trams before. One lady got into a bit of a yelling match with the driver of one of the new trams. I can't remember what it was over I just remember thinking that the driver really overreacted to something.

Mr Subtle said...

Cath - depart screaming? Come now my dear, can you really see me screaming anywhere?

MCL - the driver really can't blame that on me. He was rude and testy long before I entered his arena.

KittyMeow - Aside from train drivers (who, I always thought, seem to be the best of the bunch) tram, bus, etc drivers really are very rude 9 times out of 10. One would think that performing a public service, even in the worst situation, these people serving the public would be a little better at the serving part.

Although I guess that's what the conductors were for, not the drivers.