Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Memories

Part of my job is to visit different sites on a semi-regular basis. After a couple of visits I like to think people remember me and I can at least have a nodding acquaintance with the people on that site. Now I always have trouble with new names and I'm sure my "most difficult" name is hard for some people to remember.

What I don't understand is how some people don't seem to even remember meeting me previously. I went to a site on Friday morning to deliver a few things. Upon arrival I, once again, introduced myself to the receptionist. While this is a fairly quiet time of year and this site isn't exactly inundated with people, I'd have thought the last 4 or 5 times I'd visited and introduced myself I'd have at least received a "Oh, hi" or some other form of acknowledgement. But nope, not a batter of a eyelid. I tried to put this down to her being busy and me not being there every single day. But she's not alone.

I think I've mentioned previously about my invisibility to wait staff. Well I can now officially include sales staff in this list. While in a major department store over the weekend, I wandered into the high tech section ("Ooo, pretty lights and buttons") and started reading information, pressing buttons and generally making eye contact with the sales staff in a hope to get them to come and talk to me about their fantastic flashy things. No luck.

So after the 6th person had been served a head of me (4 staff on the floor and really it wasn't all that busy) I picked up the most expensive item I could find in front of me (a god awful mini stereo or something) and calmly wandered to another stand. Depositing the aforementioned stereo on this new stand, I looked around again - made eye contact with at least 3 different sales people - picked up the stereo and took it to the opposite end of their "area". Where by I almost tripped over a sales man kneeling on the floor attempting to sell the cheapest TV to an uninterested couple. The TV was less than the stereo I still had in my hot little hands.

So, when I picked up the stereo I may have dropped (a little) and handed it over to the sales man (still on his knees) I said something along the lines of "Well, I guess I won't be spending any money here today".

Then went off and spent a bucketload at another store where I was greeted and assisted within a few moments of walking in the store.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we're waiting .... it's been 6 days!!!!!