Thursday, July 24, 2008

The future - it awaits

I've been considering many things recently. One major one has been my career. For the past 8 years I've been in the fascinating world of IT. Generally supporting the idiots, I mean people who fool themselves into thinking they actually work for a living.

Problem is, I don't love it.

Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy what I do. But the enthusiasm I see in others and perhaps even had myself at one stage, I just don't have it any more. Perhaps it's the "grass is always greener" syndrome (I have bounced around a few jobs so far) or is it something more serious?

Is it, that I really have no idea what I enjoy doing so I really have no idea what I want to do to earn a crust? I remember the career advisors and teachers saying "Find something you enjoy, then do it to the best of your ability!" - but what if I just don't know? What if I end up slogging away at a job I'm reasonably good at, just because I'm reasonably good at it?

I guess my biggest worry right now is if I do change course, aside from choosing whatever it is, really is how much it's going to pay. I don't think I like the idea of starting off at the bottom rung again (financially speaking). As for going back to full time study - even the thought of that bores me to tears.

So, what shall I do? Find something I enjoy and do it no matter the repercussions, continue with something that really doesn't fulfil me, or attempt to work out what the hell I am good at and what I would enjoy?

Does anyone have that long to live? I may be planning to see Halley's Comet again (and the end of this century) but really, is that long enough?

Perhaps there is a job out there that will pay me 6 figures, let me surf the web, chat to my friends, eat when I want, come and go whenever I please - and really don't do much "work" at all.

Is that what I'd enjoy though? Really - I doubt it. Although damn, the 6 figures would be nice. Very nice in fact.

What to do ... what to do.

1 comment:

Cath said...

Are you at all interested in the work of a medical physicist.... sounds like my day...

But really - find something you like doing and do it.. no matter if it means a short term stint at the bottom...