Monday, July 28, 2008

The future has been on my mind a fair amount recently. More so than usual. And really it usually is a whole lot.

In that frame of mind, I've been taking a serious look at my current career and what I'd like to be doing.

Currently I'm in a job I can easily do, but one that has no chance of progression and I know one that will bore me to tears in a matter of months. Especially once everything is up and running to order.

I may have mentioned, I'm in IT. With all the bells and whistles that come with that. But I have a girlfriend, so don't go all out on the horrible comments. There ain't no propellers on my head!

Anyway, on to my thoughts (cos this is my blog and where I dump some ... thoughts). I have dabbled with engineering in the past, figuring that I'd be able to use my awesome IT skills to do that - suffice it to say, engineers are conservative bastards who don't like young whipper snappers making them look less intelligent. Worse is when I, I mean a young whipper snapper proves they don't know squat about IT stuff. So, after I dabbled with engineers, I've got myself involved with artists. It's a horrible, horrible mess. Scary only begins to describe it.

Here I am, basically as high as the ladder at this company will take me. With the Big Boss saying "I want someone who will be here for a number of years to learn all of our processes, software, blah, blah, blah" ... There hasn't been a software package yet I haven't mastered in 6 months. These are no different.

Right, so I have no career progression, minimal hope for training (in anything decent) and a job that will bore me to tears before the Big Boss will even consider reshuffling. Oh the joy!

The only option left (right now). Training. On my own time. Off my own bat. Infringing on the little time I get to spend with my girlfriend. When she's in the country.

When she's not busy.
When her schedule allows it.

Ok, perhaps me studying might not infring on that. Don't think it will even get the chance to think about infringing.

Anyway ... study. University type study. The thing I missed out on when I thought "screw this education system, I got to get me some of that money!" ... and I did. Until I turn around and think "Mmm, I want some more money". And here I am.

The training thoughts:
Project Management - add this to my IT experience and I have a winner
MBA (of sorts) - again add to my IT experience and "common" knowledge, I have a winner.
"Real" IT degree - excluding the whole "Industry Cert's" that are floating around, this is programming. I don't programme. I can't. It hurts. Not a winner.

Ok, so we have the option to add to my small amount of managerial experience (ok, 5 or so years isn't small, but it's not exactly enough either) or the option to jump back into the pool of idiots, I mean people in IT.

I think I'll go the management route. I remember putting my hand up in a course in answer to the question "Who wants to manage people?" ... the next question was "Who wants to earn lots of money?" ... shame that the IT bubble burst and the 90% of people in that course aren't working in IT anymore (the same 90% who wanted to "earn money").

So, plan is - find a good managerial course. At the same time, find some technical courses to get out of the way. Do courses and exceed expectations.

Get a job paying shit loads of money, yelling and screaming at IT idiots, I mean people. While playing nice with the people paying the money.

Ie. the jobs I've been doing the past 5 years. Only this time with pieces of paper on my wall.

Fun.

I'd better get a corner office with a fucked up good view ... purely so I can take advantage of the windows/desk and my girlfriend. ;)

Oh and the salary won't go astray either.

2 comments:

Cath said...

I hope your motivations for that corner office and money are pure my dear.......

Mr Subtle said...

pure? me? Have you met me? Corner office and money - pure?

Ha ...