Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Things that make you go mmm...

(I must admit I do enjoy that song - little guilty pleasure).

As many new readers will know (and the handful of other readers) I have been dating My Classy Lady for a while now (the exact number is still up for discussion - but I think I'll err on the side where I don't get in trouble). Now this is all well and good (in fact fantastic) but I digress - there is something coming up that I must say "makes me go mmm".

At the end of this week, she goes away for 2 months. 8 weeks. Pretty much 56 days. (Ok, to go into hours would just be over the top ... 1320).

Now, I must say this will be a first for me. I've had one partner go away in the past - I think it was 10 days for a work "thing". I say "thing" because I can't remember what term she used. In any case - I'll be in a relationship with someone on the other side of the planet for almost 8 weeks.

There's the whole "she'll have a wonderful time", "it's good to spend time apart", "distance makes the heart grow fonder", etc, etc, etc - when really, it sucks to be the person staying behind.

I know, I know - "don't feel like that", "the time will go slower", blah, blah, blah. I have yet to meet someone who actually can give me "advice" in this sort of situation after being in this situation.

"Oh, but when we were first married, blah went away for work so we could ..." - NO! Not the same. We're not married and this is a holiday (which she has been planning for months).

All in all, I am really looking forward to hearing all about her trip, seeing the emails come through that she's having a ball and all the other positive things that people who don't go on holidays say when they are trying to cover the truth that they hate having to stay here and keep the world turning.

Yes, I'm a little jealous and in desperate need for a holiday. Bite me.

Or send me on a holiday ... either way.

I watched a snippet of "How I Meet Your Mother" the other day - Barney (NPH) was saying that one of the rules of a relationship is that you can't plan for this longer in the future than you have been dating.

Longer than you have been dating ... does it count if we've known each other longer? But didn't start dating until recently? Or should I just not "plan" anything and just rock up at the airport in ripped jeans and jandals? That would go down like a ton of bricks.

Right, so to get off these negative thoughts - I have 8 weeks to get myself in better shape (apparently round isn't the fashionable shape anymore) and test my email writing ability. Thank goodness I can type better than I can scribble. She'd never be able to read my "letters".

5 comments:

Cath said...

You are only allowed to the airport in ripped jeans and thongs, if you look like Wil Anderson.....

Anonymous said...

That's crap "cath" ..... You, Mr Subtle, are allowed to the airport in ripped jeans and jandals, 'cause you're gorgeous.

Mr Subtle said...

cath - thanks for the ego boost.

anony - thank you even more so. Although I'd never do it, knowing at least one person thinks I can gives me a warm feeling inside.

Anonymous said...

Pfft, even if it was Wil Anderson waiting for me in the airport lounge in ripped jeans and thongs, I'd still be completely dubious.

Ripped jeans and docs however on Wil I might make an exception to...

Anonymous said...

Wil Anderson??? As long as he keeps his mouth shut!

Miss T