Thursday, July 10, 2008

eh

I get bored easily. Incredibly easily. People have said one of two things about this.
One - Find something to do. Occupy your time with a hobby.
Two - You're just lazy, go do something.

I find there is a third and generally socially unaccepted form of boredom. The boredom that strikes people who aren't of "average" intelligence. Apparently I have a high IQ. Apparently I'm just a little smart. Apparently I shouldn't say that I don't know stuff about stuff, when I really do. Apparently not many other people get bored just because everything around them has been dumbed down to placate the common denominator.

Having a girlfriend (again?) has brought forward a few things of myself. One of which has already lead to much consternation on her part. I have a "thing". It's mostly unconscious. Mostly. I've put it down to the fact that my brain is zooming around at a million miles an hour while my body is "forced" to be stationary while things happen (in the car is the worst). I don't think it's that over the top, but apparently it's a huge distraction. Especially when I'm not driving (ie sitting in the passenger seat - this could just be slight nerves).

Back to the boredom statement - at home I never "just" watch TV. Nine times out of ten, I'll have my laptop with me, my phone close by and generally a book hanging around. (For some reason that statement made me sound like a woman. So I can multi task, bite me.) I can watch TV, perform miracles on my laptop, chat or text on my phone. My housemate has said to me on any number of occasions "How the hell do you keep up?" - I always wonder, "how on earth do you not go crazy with boredom?". Not that I've ever said that. Well, not those exact words. It was even more impressive when I was watching Pan's Labyrinth (in Spanish with subtitles) , having the housemate ask me what was going on, while I was surfing the web and chatting to people. Apparently it's a skill. It's really just a way for me to stop the ever present boredom.

I'm starting to see this boredom encroach on me at work, while sitting at my desk while "busy" with "life threatening problems" of the horrible kind (my boss's boss's words) I'm surfing, chatting and generally making a fool of the idiots who apparently make the money here. I sometimes think am I doing it wrong, or is it really this easy? Perhaps I am doing it wrong?

To many people, boredom is also doing one thing (or having one thing done to them) repeatedly. I find this odd. This falls into my "routine" or "find something to do at the same time" catagory. Not usually the boredom one. But then again, I've always said people are stupid. Yes, I mean people. Individual persons can be very intelligent. Group us all together and we not only move at the slowest person's pace, but we also think at the stupidest person's speed. It's a scary thought, look out for it next time. You'll be amazed - if you catch on before the stupid spreads.

Even this post is really in response to being bored (and some prompting by someone - who wrote a curious post of their own today). Nothing specific, but boredom none the less.

I have thought that my "problem" with boredom is related to what I call my "addictive" slant of my personality. The top reason I don't smoke, hardly drink (anymore), don't do drugs, etc etc. People have told me (and yes, more specificially one person) that I need to "let go" and I don't "have to be cool, calm and controlled all the time". Sometimes my boredom feels like the little Dutch boy with his finger in the hole in the dike (that sounds terrible these days!) with my boredom I have my fingers going in and out of lots of holes, with my control I can keep the water from flowing out. Without control, I'd get even more bored and the dike would burst (ok, inuendo is going beyond a joke!).

Perhaps I just need a nice long relaxing holiday somewhere - come back to "life" refreshed, sun tinged, and sobering up. Maybe then I can find out what I want to do with my career. What makes me start to wonder why I'm so bored and no one else seems to be.

If you've read this far, you really deserve something special - I've got nothing, so just imagine yourself on your perfect holiday. I'll let you. Just don't let your boss catch you and blame me!

No comments: