Friday, July 11, 2008

Curiouser and curiouser

Having one confirmed reader of my blog, who then comments (directly to me most times) about my blog entries, is a new experience for me. I once had another blog (I may have mentioned this already) and had sent it to a couple of people I knew (no longer). They would read and comment at times, but more out of "friendship" rather than curiosity. Although I must say, I'm not sure where this one particular reader falls as yet - is it curiosity, or just playing nice?

I've been told that my recent posts are more "thought provoking" and that I "seem to be thinking about this more". In reality I'm just posting what I'm thinking all the time - generally with a lot less structure, worse spelling and so many tangents a high school maths teacher would be impressed. But (yet again) I digress.

Making sure my posts have some form of beginning and at least a glancing wave at a purpose does take rather more effort than sitting down and hitting the assortment of keys before me as fast as I can while I imagine the legs under the skirt of the woman I walked behind in the city. Now I have to make sure she walks in front of me at times, instead of beside me, so I can glance at a nice pair of legs (or the very captivating sway of the hips). Oops, see I told you I take tangents - now I've got legs and heels and all sorts of things rolling through my head. I'll get into trouble if I continue this train of thought ... might have to take a minute anyway.

I am ever curious, you may have noticed this, most times I keep this under control (like most things in my life) but at times it escapes and gets me into all sorts of trouble. People say curiosity killed the cat - in reality it just gets me into trouble, the cat always runs away faster. The questions "Why?", "When?" and always "What ...?" are forever on the tip of my tongue - usually to my detriment. Actually I don't remember a time when the answers to those questions were positive - perhaps it's the way I ask them. Or when I ask them. Or the subject - yes, it might just be the subject.

I have been told on many occasions that the best way to form a "relationship" with another person is to be interested in them, ask questions about them and those around them - then be able to talk about those answers and still be interested. The last one is always the most difficult. What I have found - people want you to be interested, but not if it involves them telling you things. "Be interested in me, but only as far as I want you to be" - being as subtle as I am, I inevitably fail to realise this "statement" and will continue with the questioning, the interest, etc - and then wonder why it's all fallen in a heap. Or the person looking at me with the "Would you shut up, no one else is like this". No, no one is like this - in some small way each of us is different. Perhaps too much for the rest.

I have another post in mind for today (shock, horror - posting again!) but this one I have to "script" first, just to make sure I don't go off on any more tangents.

9 comments:

Cath said...

Telling someone things because they seem initially interested, and then really revealing something about yourself, are two very different things.......

And should I walk in front of you more often?

kiki said...

now i'm thinking about heels and legs and swaying...

Mr Subtle said...

cath - revealing vs interest, a very interesting topic. I have to find a new word du jour. I wonder if most people don't see the difference and are just cautious about revealing too much.
And perhaps you should - might give you that "space".

kiki - Are you saying you don't most of the time? Should I throw in pencil skirts and sheer stockings?

Mad Cat Lady said...

Is this some kind of indirect request for a roll call of your readers?

Mr Subtle said...

trinty - not at all, I'm not that subtle (ha!), although it's not a bad idea. Can I call out random names and let you pick the one you like?

Steph said...

I only just found you, but you seem interesting to me. I'll be back ;)

Mad Cat Lady said...

Sure - pitch some names. But I must warn you, I quite like being the blogger with no name :)

Anonymous said...

Mr Subtle, lovely to meet you; hope we see you again soon.

Mr Subtle said...

steph - you know me, just not under this name. Incoming email ;)

Trinty - the blogger with no name, is that like the pub with no name?

Anon - I'll be around for a while yet, who knows what sort of trouble I'll get into!