Friday, July 04, 2008

Customs?

I just posted a comment on my girlfriend's blog (that term still looks and sounds funny to me - so very 1980s High School). The comment ended with me asking if the blog world was something that needed to be separate, or could it be shared within a relationship.
I know a previous blog of mine (of which I have no intention of putting back up) is not the sort of subject I'd introduce into a relationship. Sometimes one needs to let go and forget some historical events.

But where does blogging sit? Once in a while I meet a person who is part of a "boys club" or a "mother's group" (where are the "girl's clubs"?). And I wonder - these are places where one member of a relationship can "escape" and be themselves, not just part of a 4-legged animal.

Is blogging the same? Or can it be part of the whole? Is it something that can be shared with your significant other, or is it a place one needs to let off steam without fear of having an eyebrow raised?

I for one am ok being read by all and sundry, although at times constructive criticism can be helpful (or bloody hindering, whichever). I have my own thoughts, but I don't want to hide anything from the person I am intimate with. Perhaps a downfall of mine (it certainly was in the past).

I know of a number of blogs that I have read (or do read) that I'm sure the author's partner knows about and others I know that their partner's don't (or ever will). I wonder where the line is drawn. Is it all about the blog, or is it a glimpse into the mechanics of the relationship?

Part of these thoughts stems from a comment made to me the other day, that 80% of the communication between myself and she-who-must-be-obeyed is via a non-verbal medium. Some form of messenger, texting, emails, etc. Which means only 20% is made "in-person". Initially there was concern that we would "burn all the topics up quickly" - but my thought jumped to "how would one express 100% of their thoughts in only 20% of the time?" which at one stage (20 years ago? Less?) everyone did.

Well, some people did - I still remember seeing other people's parents come home from work and not say a word to each other.

Are the new mediums causing more harm than good? Is the old saying "distance makes the heart grow fonder" being corroded by the communication "revolution". Is blogging just another avenue into the thoughts of our loved ones ... or is it somewhere one needs to have freedom away from the eyes of the aforementioned loved ones?

2 comments:

kiki said...

i told my girlfriend about my blog, but she chooses not to read it.

as for running out of things to say, i don't think it has anything to do with the medium, but rather the people

distance does in fact make the heart grow fond. it's easy to forget all the bad stuff someone has done to you and remember only the good.

Mr Subtle said...

kiki - I guess there are people like that in the world. I wonder if they are curious about anything?
The people are the important part, but the mediums have changed a lot in recent years. I wonder what it will be like in another 20.
The good vs bad with distance is up for discussion - there are still people I like at a distance because of the bad things. But yes, a loved one's bad points do fade over the miles.