Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Inclusion vs Exclusion - or is it growth?

I witness many things in my professional life and many similar things in my personal life. One thing that happened recently could have easily seated itself in either camp.

A small group were discussing the option of expansion, or shall we say growth. This group (which could have quite easily discussed a similar thing around a board table) from different walks were busily sharpening thrusts and counter-thrusts to each comment that was made. They were oblivious to other people who floated in and out of their important conversation, but never ignored a comment.

It got to a point in the discussion, that 75% of the group had agreed that the idea was worth pursuing. The other 25% was vehemently opposed to anything even resembling discussion. From the outside, I suspected the fear of change - but upon thinking about it, I have become convinced that it's not change at all, but what the growth would mean to them. How the growth would affect their portion of the group and it's activities.

Board room, dining table, sand box - every one has seen this sort of discussion at least once in their lives. The topic starts as something rather bland, an idea to be pushed around - and instead of being a positive exercise, there is always a small (vocal) percentage that is opposed to even the slightest nod towards the idea. The rest of the group, even if it's a good idea and wish to take it forward, will generally bow to the most vocal just to keep the positive vibe of the current group happening. But I've always found, once this has happened the seeds of doubt are in place. The idea for something different is in the air - perhaps fresh or new or even exciting. It's there and people are thinking about it. The thing that the vocal portion didn't even want to happen.

I guess I could mention things like "the good old days" and how most people don't like "change" and any number of other quotes. But really we've all been there, either an outside observer, the minority clutching at straws to keep things "the same", or the majority wondering why you are bothering when it's just an idea. Wondering why the minority insists on wasting so much energy on something that really is never important in the grand scheme of things.

One example I can remember was a board room discussion I was involved with once about changing a major software package for the company. The old one was outdated, costing us more and more money each month, and everyone was sick and tired of it. There were 10 people involved in the discussions - 7 for a positive change (ie wanting to discuss the options), 3 were negative against any change "in case something was broken". Funny thing was, it was already broken yet these 3 would not allow themselves to see what was not only in front of them but what they were being told day after day - mostly from the own teams. I almost fell off my chair halfway through the discussion, when one of the 3 commented:
"I guess it's like keeping an old car, or buying a new one. Like I did last week. The new car cost me a bit more up front, but has already saved me money in the week I've had it"
This, from one of the people who wouldn't acknowledge the topic of discussion was an exact duplicate (aside from the extra zeros on the cheque). Lawyers - I'll never understand them.

Getting back to the original group - the result was a nod between the 75% group (from what I could see a "We can wait") and a not so subtle "We win" from the minority. Exactly what they won, I still don't really know. Although I'm sure in the long run they will have lost more than they could imagine if they continue that sort of thing.



I know, I've been a little "serious" lately. Blame that on actually getting sex. Well, I am anyway. Either that or the lack of alcohol. Yeah, either or.

No comments: