Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sleep

Watching someone else sleep is a very special and interesting situation. I've done in a number of times over the decades and I must say - it never gets old.

My latest instance of sleeping voyeurism has been over many of the last weekends. The first being after many bottles of red and a couch - which went from comfy to a bed of nails in such a short period of time.

I believe a person's real face comes to be shown while they sleep. They react to their dreams and sometimes outside influences naturally. In some cases you can even influence them (better keep my evil side hidden for a bit longer).

Watching the rise and fall of their chest, the rhythm of the heart pushing blood through their veins (I might add I had a long time to admire the neck of this certain person on the couch - I now understand the fascination with vampires even more.)

Some people fall asleep as if they are falling into a coma - solid stone, no movement. Others will toss and turn until they have beaten the mattress to a pulp. There is generally a third type (which I think most people are this sort), these people close their eyes and body almost shuts down - small tremors ripple through their bodies. Their breathing, once sharp and controlled, instantly becomes deep and full.Their limbs start to constrict and in some cases the curl around themselves (or other things).

I have watched so many different people sleep - from the smallest of babies, to the oldest of grandparents (no, I'm not that weird - I just have a very large family). I'm always curious to see how people fall asleep in different situations. I know I can nap anywhere (must to the disgust of people sitting next to me on a plane) but full, healthy sleep is a different matter. That takes me a while, although if I'm alone I have no trouble. Perhaps I'm more concerned about the other person(s) who are attempting to sleep as well.

Sleep really is a wonderful thing - but I won't ever be able to truly appreciate it until they get those genes from the bears and give me a real winter hibernation!

2 comments:

Cath said...

Persons???? Oh do tell....

Mr Subtle said...

I may be male, but I am certainly not that stupid to fall into that trap ...