Thursday, March 19, 2009

I seem to have read a few books this year

I may have mentioned that I read a lot. Apparently I read quickly too. I figured I'd test this out and see how fast I could read 2 books. Of course at the same time.

Fortunately Cathy brought home 2 interesting books last tuesday.

Making Money - Terry Pratchett
Stranger in a strange land - Robert A. Heinlein

Two very different books and seemed to be acceptable to my speed trial. I finished "Making Money" on Tuesday night and have less than 100 pages on "Stranger in a strange land". So I'm guessing I'll finish that by the weekend.

I've never considered myself to be a fast reader, but to finish almost 2 books in just over a week is apparently fast (light speed if one of my friend's opinions is correct - although he only "reads" from "books-on-CD" these days).

So, I guess a question is in order - how fast do you read? And like me, do you read more than 1 book at a time? (I've had a maximum of 4 books on the go once, that was a little confusing!).

4 comments:

Mad Cat Lady said...

One book at a time.

If it's a book by one of the authors I follow, I will finish it in one sitting. I think I bought Making Money late in the day, so we'll say start about 4 pm and finished about 1:30. I read slower when I really like the book.

I went through a trashy romantic novel stage - lets say Dara Joy, but I was thinking of another one but I can't remember her name Lindsey something? maybe - I timed it at 2 to 4 hours. But one doesn't read them with depth. Their around the 400 page mark.

If it's a book I am forcing myself to read, like the one I am now, I'll only read an hour or two at a time and a week is a fair estimate for them.

Sorry for the excessive response :) And some books I have for specific settings, like there are a couple of books I only read when I go out to breakfast etc, so much longer for them :)

Cath said...

I can also only read one book at a time. If it is really good, and light going, and nothing else is on, I can read a book in a day or so. I aim for around one a week, but generally 10 - 14 days for something significant. My limiting factor is the fact that when I lie down to read in bed, I fall asleep within minutes......

KittyMeow said...

I can only read one book at a time. I like my focus on the story at hand.

Tend to read pretty fast. I can finish a Terry Pratchett sized book in a couple of days. Those big hefty paperbacks written by the likes of Tad Williams (my fave author) will take me a week or so.

This is usually in blocks of two hours a day as the only chance I get to read is on the train to and from work.

Anonymous said...

So, did you like the Heinlein? Joel is a huuuuge fan of his work, but I haven't read any myself.

BTW, congrats love but you already know that I'm sure from Ms Ho :)