Thursday, December 11, 2008

18...19...20...

21%
I'm sitting here, on site, watching a status bar slowly crawl it's way across the screen. This is what, apparently, I get paid the big bucks for.

26%
If only I was paid big dollars. But then again I'm still only starting out, I mean to put my whole career into focus, I've done just over 1 decade. There's what - 4-5 more of those? Unless of course I strike it rich and marry, I mean work hard and earn lots of money. Lots and lots of money I suspect.

27%
I tell you it's not going to be by watching status bars crawl across the screen. Although I've done worse things with my time. Because I've been told to do them and because I really didn't want to do something I was told to do.

28%
I still think I've had a very decent career path so far - I seem to end up at the top of the pile. My first job as a "Forecourt Attendant" - when people actually "served" the customer at a "Service" Station - I was running my own shifts by the end of my first 6 months there. Not bad for a 17 year old.

31%
Woo, things got a little quick there for a moment. The next big thing I guess was running the McDonald's store. Admittedly this took me a little long (almost 2 years) but those big companies aren't exactly known for their "outside of the box" thinking when it comes to promoting people. I think the basic thought process went "Let's get this person to have the responsibilities of the next level up, without the rights or pay, for as long as we can - then just before they quit we'll promote them". Or in my case you get the store manager drunk enough and everyone loves you and won't say no.

34%
This is just getting crazy. Think I might just pack up and go home. Of course if that happens it's going to fall over at 99% and I'll be in royal shit. Not that I didn't warn everyone that might happen. But these things are never fun.

35%
What was after McD's? Oh that's right, the helpdesk job. I'll skip the little jobs I had to keep fuel in my car between these 2, but let's just say working 2 jobs and studying between the hours of 0430 and 2300 6 days a week is not fun. The helpdesk role - even though I've been through it, I still cannot stand idiots who man the phones. To articulate correctly (I even rolled the R's in my head when I typed that) is a very important thing to do - even when english isn't your first language. I don't get annoyed when people laugh at my crazy attempts at french, I just grin, look a little (more) stupid and try again - it's not their fault I can't speak their language, or they can't understand me.

39%
Fuck, things are right moving along now. I think 50% will be the time to make my peace with the world and go beat my head against the brick wall that is the traffic in Melbourne. At least what they call traffic.

40%
Time to sign off before I start rambling even more - this isn't good for me. Think I'll need to lie down somewhere. I wonder if the GM will mind if I stretched out on his desk. He's not using it at the moment.

Lol.

3 comments:

Cath said...

I cannot imagine you getting up at 0430... considering now you have trouble staggering out at 0830.....

Little Red said...

I liked this one. Nice format! :)

Mr Subtle said...

Cath - there's a reason these days I have trouble staggering out at 0830, those times at 0430 killed me!

J - thanks for that, it was quite inspired. Just have to find another entry to use it with!