Saturday, August 09, 2008

Popcorn

There are times I'll sit down to watch a movie and just want to veg out. Usually I can do this very well, sometimes it takes an extra bit of, let's say effort.

Last night it took a very funny children's movie "3 Pigs and a Baby". Today it's the movie "Enchanted".

These are very crap movies. Yet I enjoyed them a lot. I laughed out loud, I smiled, I even giggled. I even relaxed, I was able to stop the continuous racing of my brain. Sometimes I need to do this, sometimes I just need something crap to take me away from it all. Not that "it all" is so bad, but a little bit of escapism seems to work wonders.

My housemate will watch crap movie after crap movie, yet never one that is just crap for the sake of making one feel better. Perhaps this is a fundamental difference between some people. Some look for things to make them smile to escape - others look for things just to escape. I think I prefer smiling and laughing.

I've watched many deep movies, many recommended movies, in fact many movies period. Like my music taste, my taste in movies has always been wide and varied. Although try as I might, I've never been into anything Country & Western (or overly patriotic).

One thing with movies I've noticed over the years - the movies you see with other people can be a good indication of that person. One "date" I went on once, the female component of the "date" dragged me to "27 Dresses". A movie I may have seen on DVD, a movie I can tell you is NOT good for a date. In fact for anything that involves spending copious amounts of money. In fact any money.

Finding someone who is at least willing to experience movies outside their own comfort zone is special. After spending years with people who won't even consider a movie outside of a very small sliver of the media, it's very refreshing let me tell you.

Another rambling entry, but I really don't mind. I ramble in real life enough, it has to overflow into my blog every now and then ;)

4 comments:

Mad Cat Lady said...

The Trinity movies are an exception to any anti-western rule. They call me Trinity - highly recommend. One of my favourite movies as a kid and I found a copy recently, which is why I named myself this :) (and the good the bad and the ugly - classic)

Mr Subtle said...

Trin - I've seen the Trinity movies, just a big ol' eh from me. As for the good the bad and the ugly - almost the same reaction. Perhaps I'm missing something from these movies, but I just can't get into them.

Mad Cat Lady said...

It's not them - it's you :P

Second chance: non western movies - have you seen Rosencrantz and Guildenstein are Dead?

Mr Subtle said...

Oh, I admit I have a weird sense when it comes to movies. But Westerns just don't do it for me.

As for "Rosencrantz and Guildenstein are Dead", I haven't seen it but it does look very good! Think I'll be finding where to get this today.