Monday, August 11, 2008

BMI

As you may or may not have noticed, I've started putting my exercise and food intake tables on my blog. For 2 reasons - 1 is to have somewhere to keep them, the other is so that I have somewhere I am answerable to. So I can look back and say "Yup, I fucked up there" or "Yup, I'm so awesome!".

I went looking for a few websites last night, to do with food intake and heart rates. I wanted to be sure my exercising heart rate was within the good boundaries (Yup, it is, again I rock!) and I was pointed to CalorieKing. Now, I think I've been to this site before so I was looking at something (albeit at stupid o'clock last night) that I was sure I had seen before. Anyhoo, I signed up (go free registration!) and had a quick look around. Not too bad to be honest. I entered my food intake (yikes 2000 calories per day!) and entered my basic exercising (not a lot of non-cardio detail on this website).

Basically it works out that I'm not eating near my "Daily Recommended Caolarie Intake" (of 2000 calories!!) and that I'm exercising like a mofo!

So far, my maximum "Net Energy" has been 205 calories. My minimum? -40. Yup, that's negative 40 calories for the whole day.

I know it's good for weightloss and all that to have "more going out than coming in" but it's a little weird to see my intake jump from -40 to 205 with pretty much the same food and exactly the same exercise.

But I persist. All exercise is good, I'm eating healthy and it appears that I'm expending more energy than I've done in a while - so the fat better be falling off soon!

I have my "weigh in" tonight at the gym. Basically I'll jump on the scales and yell at them if it's not a good number.

Oh, right the title to this ditty. When I signed up to CalorieKing, they asked for my weight, height, age, sex, etc. Didn't let me answer "yes" to sex though. So I entered all of these (192 cm, 127kg, yes I mean male, etc).

Now, I'm not small by anyone's imagination. I'm overweight. But Being 192cm (6'3.5 for those playing at home) it's not as if I'm a big ball. But, what does the stupid BMI ("Bastard Measuring Index" in my opinion) think I am?

Obese.

Me. Obese. I'm almost 6 foot fucking 4 ... and I'm told "You're supposed to be between 85-92 kg". 90 kg? Fuck, I'll be skin and fucking bone. What about the muscle? Yes, I freely admit I have a bit of fat (spare tire anyone?) to get rid of. But obese? And 90 kg?

Who was the fucking moron who invented this fucking index? I mean really. Since I'm not "average" height, nor "average" body shape I'm obese. I'm a big guy, not much I can do about my height or my basic body shape. Well, the shape I'm changing, but you get the idea!

BMI can go suck moneky balls right now - I'm really not happy with it at all. Especially as everyone and their dog is going on about how "great" it is to have this "wonderful index". Yeah, go you average people. Pretty fucked up for the rest of us.

Ok, rant over. My plan at the moment is to rest at 100kg. That's a nice figure. That'll give me some breathing room to add muscle to my shape and not be overly concerned about the health issues.

Oh and if one more health insurance company says no to me because I don't fit into their little fucked up tables - I'm going to reach down the phone and strangle the average sized little bastards.

And yes, I'll be fit enough to do that by then too.

No comments: