Friday, October 02, 2009

Terms of endearment

When one likes another, be it relationship, friendship, mateship, etc most people start using nicknames or terms of endearment. Most of these are harmless, some make no sense to others, a few might even offend other people. There are some that slip between the cracks that people don't acknowledge or if they do it feels a little strange to others.

Case number 1 in point - "Sexy"
Used by most people at some point or other, unfortunately it's a term that is either accepted by the majority or purely in the eye of the beholder. It's one of those terms that anyone can use for someone they believe is "sexy" and don't intend to be offensive, or sometimes a little over the line. I, personally, like to use sexy when I'm attracted to someone who I'm in a relationship with. Although I used to use it sparingly I have been told recently that it us too creepy and the fact that others use it in reference to their beloved it somehow undervalues the sentiment. I didn't really believe Cath either, but at the moment I'll keep the comment to a minimum.

Case number 2 in point "boy / girl"
I may have acces to a certain social networking site - on this site I might have a friend or two - of these friends I might have a couple who recently referred to each other as "boy" and "girl". I don't see a problem with this, both parties are using a similar term and don't have an obvious problem with it.
Now for the sticky issue - female friend of both comments on the male's reference to his girlfriend as "girl". Scathingly comment attached which follows the lines of "you don't own her, she's not 10, you should call her woman". This left me a little sick. Here was a couple who displayed their affection for each other in public, in a way that was comfortable for them, and ONE of them was shot down. No comment to the female for calling the male "boy" instead of "man", no nothing of the sort. No comment that the display of affection was nice, just that this 3rd party didn't like a perceived insult to the female, even where none was obviously not intended or existed. It bothers me this black and white attitude to "respect" and "political correctness" that has once again excluded the middle class male from any form of rebuke or support.

There are times when I, and others, want to display our affection for those we love and how we feel "ownership" and "owned" in our comfortable relationship. People who don't understand it or perceive a "threat" need to find a short pier and take a nice long brisk walk.

3 comments:

Cath said...

When you don't feel sexy... and someone calls you sexy - I feel weird. Not so much the creepy.

But I love you too sweetheart.

analytics said...

I have never been addressed by my nearest and dearest as "Sexy" and I'm pretty grateful for that. It would hugely creep me out - definitely with the creepy on that one.

And the second one - gotta love that screaming double standard. Joel and I call each other "bitch" as in "Can I have a cup of tea please, bitch?" The intent is what is important, not someone's perception. And the law actually backs that up too WRT racism and sexism - if there was racist/sexist intent then it is racist/sexist otherwise choke on it political correctness junkies.

成人色情漫畫卡通 said...

ut 失落的世界聊天室 -
小瓢蟲論壇 -
洪爺貼圖 -
免費視訊妹妹 -
金瓶梅情色網 -
0509視訊交友 -
s383視訊 -
成人貼圖站 -
日本人妻熟女自拍貼圖 -
漂亮妹妹聊天網 -
台中夜店辣妹影片 -
曼雪兒免費視訊 -
情趣視訊聊天網 -
內衣模特兒寫真 -
ut聊天室環球辣妹聊天室90691 -
色咪咪貼影片 mv -
日本avdvd介紹免費觀賞 -
2008真情寫真 -
裸露美女 -
免費視訊kk 聊天室 -
浪漫情人視訊網 -
168視訊聊天室一對一show -
真愛love聊天室 -
0204live比基尼辣妹 -
台灣檳榔西施 -
0401影音視訊網 -
6元視訊辣妹脫衣秀 -
ez網愛聊天室 -
好玩遊戲區 -
夢幻女優一區 -
台灣美眉脫衣麻將 -
080流星花園聊天室 -
性感辣妹脫衣秀 -
a383成人影音館 -
火辣美媚自拍寫真貼圖 -
情人浪漫聊天室 -
全球華人真人影音網 -
八卦山視訊影音聊天室 -
阿賓情慾小說 yam -
真人野球拳 -